Ready in: 25
- 1.5 kg cleaned, uncooked mussels
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 eating apple, such as a Granny Smith, finally diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 150ml cider
- 100ml Kerrymaid Savoury & Dessert Topping
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- Soda bread
- Salt and pepper
- Clean and debeard the mussels. Discard any that are open or broken.
- Put a large pan which has a lid on the stove at a medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Fry the sliced shallots and sweat until translucent; this will take 5-6 minutes. Add the diced apple and the garlic and cook for a further 3-4 minutes uncovered.
- Now add in the mussels, cover the pan with the lid and turn up the heat to high.
- After 30 seconds, remove the lid and add the cider and the Orley Whip. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes until all the mussels are open and the cider and Kerrymaid Savoury & Dessert Topping has reduced. Stir a few times whilst cooking to make sure all the mussels get the heat from the bottom of the pan.
- Once cooked, add the chopped parsley and the juice of half a lemon. Stir well. Serve with griddled soda bread and a big wedge of lemon.